Discussion Floating Stillwater Lines

RickB

Student of the obsession
Staff member
Hey gang, I haven't bought a single hand line in many years and need to get a few. Anyone have any recommendations for some new floating lines, whats the latest and greatest?

HarkatScott

I recently added a SA mastery, the titan long. Very smooth and nice for laying out delicate presentations and roll casts.
I also have, through Gary, a SA mastery mpx which I think I like more between the two.
Traditionally I buy whatever is on clearance so I have kept my self mostly naive to premium lines.

RickB

Student of the obsession
Staff member
Thanks for that @HarkatScott I am so out of tune on anything other than spey/skagit lines, so all recommendations and personal experiences are appreciated!

HarkatScott

Many of my lines are of the maxcatch Chinese variety, I actually really like their skagit lines. I have no doubt there is better, but twenty bucks is awesome and I can get my switch setups across any of the lower mainland rivers with it, so why not?
When it comes to still water lines, you don't need exceptional, as you generally have room for back casting to get line out and can move your boat if your target is too far.
I'm only ok at casting and with my budget setups I can access as much still water as I can desire. Somedays I'm fishing only mere meters away from my boat and doing fine anyway.
Among the better brands I prefer Scientific Angler over Rio and most others.

RickB

Student of the obsession
Staff member
@HarkatScott I guess I'm a sucker for the gimmicks ;) @Salar1 sells a brand of lines, cant remember the name but some cool ones, fishing style targeted lines. If my memory serves me right, he had one names Buzzer Line, specifically for Buzzers/Chironomids.

RickB

Student of the obsession
Staff member
Haven't tried that one yet, though the last single hand floating line I purchased was a Sage line that I believe was made by Rio. Does anyone know if Rio makes lines out of polyurethane like Airflo or are they still using PVC?

Seanie

Staff member
I like the Rio Gold In touch line. I've had them for a while now , No problems, I really like them,