RickB

Student of the obsession
Staff member
Hey Guys, looking for advice on how to fix one of my fly rods. I have a older Winston Boron BIIX and the top of the cork is coming loose from the blank. Has anyone ever tried squeezing 2 hour epoxy out of a syringe with a needle? I dont need much but need to get the epoxy 1- 1 1/2 inches blow the top of the cork. Thanks in advance, cheers.

Winston-TT-BIIIx-127_640.jpg

Last edited:

Lahey2020

Sounds like quite a challenge. I have never attempted such a repair but...
I would consider this - You can get medical needles from your local Pharmacy.
Next, I would mix a small batch of epoxy and warm it to reduce its viscosity and
test the ability for the needle to push the glue. I believe you can get needles with
different diameters. If this proves to be acceptable, you may be able to drill some small holes
in the cork and inject epoxy. Leave room at the top of each hole for some cork dust/white glue
mix. Sand smooth. I would use a pen style pin vice to make the holes very carefully using a 1/16
drill bit or smaller. The issue would be drilling without damaging the blank under the cork. Being a Winston
I would rebuild the grip and reel seat as a proper repair...
And, if the epoxy will not push through the needle, you may be destined to rebuild.

RickB

Student of the obsession
Staff member
Sounds like quite a challenge. I have never attempted such a repair but...
I would consider this - You can get medical needles from your local Pharmacy.
Next, I would mix a small batch of epoxy and warm it to reduce its viscosity and
test the ability for the needle to push the glue. I believe you can get needles with
different diameters. If this proves to be acceptable, you may be able to drill some small holes
in the cork and inject epoxy. Leave room at the top of each hole for some cork dust/white glue
mix. Sand smooth. I would use a pen style pin vice to make the holes very carefully using a 1/16
drill bit or smaller. The issue would be drilling without damaging the blank under the cork. Being a Winston
I would rebuild the grip and reel seat as a proper repair...
And, if the epoxy will not push through the needle, you may be destined to rebuild.
That's great information @Lahey2020 thank you for your input and I will keep you posted. I was wondering how I would be able to thin the epoxy to go through the needle and warming it up should do the trick! (y)(y) Welcome to the Fly Tying Guild!