Discussion Hardy Marquis

RickB

Student of the obsession
Staff member
Just picked up another old used Marquis a couple days ago. These old reels just don’t break down, good old click and pawl! Who else prefers the older classic fly reels, that never break down?

RavenBC

I have a Salmon 2 for my 12'6 8wt spey and a 8/9 for my 12ft 2/3 trout spey and want to add the Salmon 1 to my collection for my switch rods.

Monkeybutler

I have a Hardy #1 Salmon, had it on my spey rod sold the rod with a Redington Breakwater kept the reel, which I use on my 10 single hand for steelhead. My favourite reel is one of my dads he bough in England at the end of WW2 in 1946, it's a JW Young Pridex I use it for cutties the same as he did but he used his Hardy 6 weight cane he bought with the reel. Which i have and bring out occasionally.

ggp

Hardy Marquis reels are my favourite.
I have a Marquis #4, three Marquis #6’s, a Marquis 8/9, and a Salmon #1. I also have an Orvis CFO #3 in my collection, which is exactly the same inside as the Marquis. I have a multitude of spare spool for all these reels. All reels were bought back in the 70’s save one which was bought in the early 80’s, and all are my go to’s, even though I have several newer more modern one’s. I have replaced springs and pawls simply because I use these reels so much. My 6’s and the 8/9 have been used extensively while fishing for Pinks and Coho in salt water. After each use they were hosed off, dried, and greased (when necessary). They have never let me down!

Last edited:

RickB

Student of the obsession
Staff member
Found another one of these little beauties today on ebay, a little Marquis #6 If you keep your eye on the auctions you can find some good deal, got this one for $75 CND, good score.

Last edited:

Mike

Just picked up another old used Marquis a couple days ago. These old reels just don’t break down, good old click and pawl! Who else prefers the older classic fly reels, that never break down?

View attachment 789
I do I do. Have a Marquis, Princess, St.Aiden, JLH AND A Gem somewith extra spools. Use them all. Love'em all.

RickB

Student of the obsession
Staff member
@Mike yes, they come with me when to be buried an my jet boat casket when I die! haha ;)

RickB

Student of the obsession
Staff member
Hi agIn Rick. Would you be the Rick that managed wholesale sports in Langley?
Nope that's my other buddy Rick. ;) We both worked together at Michael & Youngs in surrey before he went over there.