Starting out

professori

If you are on the novice end of this great hobby, I strongly recommend tying a lot and tying a lot of the same fly. When I started tying flies, I had a subscription to BC Outdoors magazine and in every issue the first thing I would turn to was Phil Rowley's fly tying column. I would make a list of all the materials needed for that month's fly, go out to Jaymer's (the closest shop to my home), buy all the items and go home and tie up 25 flies (a complete package of Tiemco hooks) and then wait for the next issue and repeat the process. It really helped me hone my tying skills. Even now, when I sit down to tie, I try to do at least 6 of the same fly. I find that the first one or two flies (especially if it is a new pattern) while passable, aren't much more than that. Once I have got those substandard flies out of the way, I can concentrate on tying quality flies. You also develop muscle memory when tying a lot of the same fly over and over. This really helps when your fly box is depleted and you need to restock. Those flies that you spent so much time tying in the past, come around much quicker the second, third or more times. And if you are revisiting the same fly, it's one of your successful, favourite ones. So tie a lot and tie lots....trust me, you'll become better faster.

Last edited:

Phearless

If you are on the novice end of this great hobby, I strongly recommend tying a lot and tying a lot of the same fly. When I started tying flies, I had a subscription to BC Outdoors magazine and in every issue the first thing I would turn to was Phil Rowley's fly tying column. I would make a list of all the materials needed for that month's fly, go out to Jaymer's (the closest shop to my home), buy all the items and go home and tie up 25 flies (a complete package of Tiemco hooks) and then wait for the next issue and repeat the process. It really helped me hone my tying skills. Even now, when I sit down to tie, I try to do at least 6 of the same fly. I find that the first one or two flies (especially if it is a new pattern) while passable, aren't much more than that. One I have got those substandard flies out of the way, I can concentrate on tying quality flies. You also develop muscle memory when tying a lot of the same fly over and over. This really helps when your fly box is depleted and you need to restock. Those flies that you spent so much time tying in the past, come around much quicker the second, third or more times. And if you are revisiting the same fly, it's one of your successful, favourite ones. So tie a lot and tie lots....trust me, you'll become better faster.
100% @professori I have tied more flies than I can remember, and I always do
the same when I want to dial in a pattern. 6 minimum. Usually the same ratio as you were saying. Don't save the substandard flies. Cut them up and tie good ones. Right now I am working on an order, probably 1000 when we are done the colour combos. I have tied them before and it is almost like I don't have to think. It just happens. Like driving stick.

Red Fly

RIP Pal......
That is bang on Professori the more groups that you tie the better they get I guess practice does make perfect