The Vanishing Angler

Oldtimer6974

In early June, 1970 I,d driven from my base Grand Forks, North Dakota as I had a ten day leave with my parents and kid brother Tracy in Coalville, eastern Washington where they,d lived since 1966. Wife Sue had been ill and treated by the nhs in England since March so I was looking forward to her rejoining me before my transfer to McChord, Washington on June 20. A tiny stream Mill Creek flowed below the house my parents owned on Aladdin Star Route urban area of Colville and the water was fairly high though by late summer irresponsible farmers using it for irrigation and natural evaporation would see it almost dry except for deep pools here and there. In that time of year it was either early or late as the native trout spooked easily in the crystal clear waters. Yet this was June, water fairly high and moray from snow melt off nearby Mt. Dominion. One afternoon I,d donned my old often patched rubber hip waders and tried fishing it using a small hook and bunch of earthworms with no weight just letting the current carry the bait as natural as possible and was rewarded with five fat brownies, a brookie and two much larger rainbows, none trophy size but perfect for eating and stored in my creel. I was debating whether to carry on, but decided I,d done well and by the time I,d cleaned my catch it would be near supper time so started to pack up my gear. Suddenly an angler appeared from between two large pines, a rather large man with a hat filled with flies, a vest, chest waders and what appeared to be an expensive fly fishing outfit. “Hey Buddy. How are you doing?” He asked as he lit a nice smelling pipe. “Quite well. But it,s all yours now. Time to clean my catch!” I smiled at him. He waded into,the pool I,d just left and as I left the water to glance back at him he was GONE! There was no trace of the man and when i looked to see it f he,d left the pool without me seeing him there were no wader tracks in the mud beside the pool! Yet the pipe smoke lingered in the air! That is but one of the unexplained things that,s happened to me in my life time. What,s Yours?

professori

I worked as the Technical Director at the Surrey Arts Center theatre for some time when I was in my early 30s. There were a couple janitors about my age who also worked in the complex and we had a running joke trying to startle the others in unexpected places. Late one evening I was working alone in the theatre onstage with my back to the house (audience seating). I turned around to pick up some materials and there sitting in the centre of the front row was a very old man with shoulder length white hair. I let out a yell and turned back up stage briefly. I immediately knew it was Larry the janitor, wearing one of those old man full-face masks, and I turned back to let him know he got me. The theatre was empty!

Oldtimer6974

The Barbican Centre built on land destroyed by the Luftwaffe in World War II I Worked at forbeight years and had three unexplained events in that time. Will relate them if you like